Monday, July 11, 2011

My love affair with Thrift Store Shopping

Can I just say how much I love thrift store shopping! I had been resisting the urge to go the thrift stores; things have been a little tight lately. The other day I had quite a few books to mail out for paperbackswap.com. If I turn right on the street just after the post office drive I can make it to a thrift store in 5 minutes. I thought, we’d just go in and wander around for a little bit until the library opens at noon. We didn’t get to the library until 2 but I found 25 books for $30! Prices on the books range from 1.50 to just 25 cents. When I shop for books I have a list of books that we have already in my phone so to minimize the amount of duplicates that I get and a list of authors that I am looking for. I prefer to get hard covers but if I have been looking for a particular book a paperback will do. Well I didn’t find one book that I was looking for but I did find a lot of books that were just to interesting to pass up.

Sometimes I think the other shoppers and the workers must think I am crazy. My strategy is I pull any book that I might like off the shelf and put in the cart. Since I had not been to the store in about 2 months the cart was fuller than normal. Then I go through them all, carefully evaluating them for flaws and if I would really like to add that book to my collection. The one thing that makes pretty upset is finding I bought a book and it is missing pages. Oh the horror of a book with ripped out pages….. but I digress.

My poor son just sits in the cart and babbles to me the entire time, he is so good about just sitting there. Of course I some times have to bribe him with candy. My purse has been come like some crazy Willy Wonka purse with chocolate, suckers and assorted empty wrappers. How I miss the days were my purse was small and cute, now I look like a bag lady….

So stay tuned for the next couple of weeks while I review and research my newest finds. I am trying to review books that have not been done so in length. Other than my first posting, dedicated to my most beloved book of all time. I think we can all find reviews of the most popular books out there. I would rather read a review of a lesser known gem.

If you are interested in what paperbackswap.com is, I will put a link and a little explanation in the side bar. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment